Celynen Collieries

Roll of Honour

When the Celynen Collieries Workmen's Memorial Hall was formally opened in March 1925 it did not have a Roll of Honour - instead had a white tablet in the front entrance. The engraved lettering was coloured in black with capitals picked out in red. The words ‘Gwell Angau Na Gwarth’ (Death before Disgrace) flank a Welsh dragon.

In 1935 the Institute Committee decided that a Roll of Honour should be commissioned, a number of designs were considered before a decision was made to accept the design submitted by the Western Mail for the price of £21 although following a number of revisions the final bill came to £29 5s.

Photo © Tim Bowers

The Unveiling Ceremony

Roll of Honour

Photo courtesy of Robert Jenkins